Define additional checkout fields to be displayed in the shopping cart, helping you collect extra information from your shoppers. You can configure custom fields to be displayed at both product and order level.
How do I receive additional checkout fields?
Customer specific information collected via custom additional fields is sent in several ways:
- in the "Order notification email "- sent by the 2Checkout system, information filled by your customers will be sent along with all the order information in the Additional Information section.
- in the "IPN (Instant Payment Notification)" if this service is enabled, the additional fields are included in the HTTP POST sent by the 2Checkout system.
Additional checkout fields are not included by default in the IPN HTTP POST. To include these fields, as well as other additional order information you have to check CUSTOM_FIELDS on the IPN Settings page.
The following IPN variables are available:
additional checkout fields
|IPN_CUSTOM_TEXT||array with all the custom fields texts set per order.|
|IPN_CUSTOM_VALUE||array with all client input corresponding for the text.|
|IPN_CUSTOM_TEXT||0||Where did you first hear about us?|
|1||Would you like to receive regular updates?|
|IPN_CUSTOM_VALUE||0||From a friend|
Product additional checkout fields (dynamic fields):
Product name: 123456
Product ID in the 2Checkout system: 123456
|IPN_CUSTOM_123456_TEXT||array with all the custom fields texts set per product.|
|IPN_CUSTOM_123456_VALUE||array with all client input corresponding for the text.|
Additional information can be found in the Technical documentation section.
Create custom fields
- Go to Setup -> Ordering options.
- Click Manage additional order fields.
- Use the Add new field section to define each new field. Enter the Field identifier. Use unique identifiers for all your fields. Note: This field accepts only alpha-numeric characters. If you leave this field empty, 2Checkout generates a random value as identifier.
- Enter the Field text (the name of the field).
- Set the Field type. There are four available types.
- Textbox allows shoppers to write what they want in the field. You can use it to collect feedback or opinions on the shopping experience, for instance.
- Checkbox allows shoppers to select various options. You can use it for a quick survey.
- Listbox displays a drop-down list your shoppers can select items from.
- Hidden helps you define custom URL parameters for tracking purposes. For details on this option, read our dedicated article.
- Use the Apply to drop-down to choose whether the field should apply at product or order level.
- Use the Validation rule field to specify the regular expression to validate the field values. Note: Not supported on Inline Checkout. The field can be set, but it will be ignored during the checkout process.
- Click Create field to save the new field.
Enable product level additional checkout fields
Follow the steps in the Create custom fields section to create new fields and apply them at Product level. Then, follow the steps below to assign the field to a product.
- Go to Setup -> Products.
- Click Edit on the product you want to assign the field to.
- Go to the Information tab and scroll to the bottom of the screen. You'll find the previously defined additional fields in the Order additional fields section. All new fields are disabled by default.
- Check the Enabled option on the Order page column corresponding to the field you want to use. Check the Required checkbox if you want the field to be mandatory during the checkout process.
- Click Save.
Enable order-level additional checkout fields
Follow the steps in the Create custom fields section to create new fields and apply them at Order level. Then, follow the steps below to assign the field to an order.
- Go to Setup -> Ordering options.
- Scroll down to Additional order fields.
- Check the checkbox next to the field you want to use. Check the Required checkbox if you want the field to be mandatory during the checkout process.
- Click Save Settings at the bottom of the page.