2Checkout myAccount enables customers to add new credit / debit cards to their accounts, as well as update and manage their payment information on demand.
Credit / debit card management capabilities are available to all customers using 2Checkout myAccount.
Credit / debit card management functionality can be used only for active, ongoing subscriptions, or those that are in the grace period, i.e. past their renewal deadline, but not expired. Adding or updating payment data will not function for lifetime, canceled and expired subscriptions.
Please check with 2Checkout to ensure your account's payment setup enables your customers to update or add payment data.
Supported credit / debit cards
The following credit card types will be displayed to customers when attempting to add/update their payment information:
- VISA (and VISA Electron)
- American Express
However, customers will be able to add/update additional credit/debit cards, as long as your account's payment setup supports them.
Payment methods that can be updated with cards
|Payment method||Add/update to credit card|
No payment method available (for subscriptions imported without payment info)
Bank wire transfer
Note: Once replaced on a subscription by credit/debit card data, payment methods such as PayPal, DirectDebit and bank wire transfer cannot be switched back.
Adding a new card flow
This is the first scenario designed to enable your customers to add and update their payment options:
- Customers navigate to the Payment Methods area.
- They click the Add new button.
- In the Add new card area, customers can introduce new credit / debit card details and click Save.
- The 2Checkout system performs credit / debit card validation checks, to ensure that the data supplied indeed fits the right format.
- 2Checkout does not pre-authorize new payment information, since the credit / debit card is not assigned to a subscription and is not be used to charge the customer.
- Once the data is saved the new credit / debit card will be featured in the customer's myAccount.
Credit / debit cards associated with an account can:
1. Be assigned to specific, active subscriptions and used for future charges as a part of the recurring billing (subscription renewal) process.
2. Be used to support payment tokenization for returning customers. Available credit / deb it cards can be displayed in the shopping cart for existing customers, allowing them only to select the desired card rather than re-entering billing and payment information.
Adding card data for a subscription flow
When they log into their myAccount, customers will be able to add credit/debit card data for:
- Imported subscriptions
- Subscriptions that were purchased using payment methods such as PayPal, DirectDebit and bank wire transfer
They will be presented with a dialog box such as the one below.
The 2Checkout system performs an authorization check for each card added. If the authorization is performed successfully, the card is associated with the subscription and used to charge customers as a part of the automatic renewal / recurring billing process. Details about the authorization process are available below.
If the Enable automatic subscription renewal option is checked, then the 2Checkout system automatically charges customers for the renewal of their subscriptions each recurring billing cycle.
The same card can be assigned to and used for multiple subscriptions.
Updating a card
2Checkout lists credit/debit cards used to pay for a subscription at the top of the New Credit Card information pop-p window. The credit/debit card currently used to charge customers for the automatic renewal / recurring billing process is highlighted.
Customers can select one of the existing cards to be charged as a part of the automatic renewal / recurring billing process, replacing the one previously in use. The last added card will be displayed at the top of the list.
At the same time they have the option of adding new payment information. The 2Checkout system performs an authorization check for each card added. If the authorization is performed successfully, the card will be associated with the subscription and will be used to charge customers as a part of the automatic renewal / recurring billing process. Details about the authorization process are available below.
If the Enable automatic subscription renewal option is unchecked, then the automatic renewal system will be disabled for the subscription. As a result, the 2Checkout system will no longer automatically charge customers for the renewal of their subscriptions each recurring billing cycle. Customers can still renew their subscriptions manually.
Update credit / debit card info
- Customers navigate to the Payment Methods area.
- They need to click the Update card button and they'll be able to enter new expiration information and click Save.
- They can click Delete and remove tge card-on-file data from the 2Checkout platform.
Pre-authorization for cards
- Customer assigns card to active or past due subscription.
- 2Checkout issues a pre-authorization charge using the minimum value set for the process, in accordance with the payment method used by the customer and the currency selected for the order. The pre-authorization charge is handled by a payment gateway which attempts to validate the card with its issuing bank.
For credit /debit cards the temporary charge (pre-authorization) put on hold is usually $1 / 1EUR, or the rough equivalent of this amount converted in the currency used for the ordering process.
- The Credit / Debit card is:
- Instantaneously authorized by the issuing bank (2Checkout receives validation from payment gateway) and will be associated with the subscription. The Credit / Debit card is validated and the unique order reference generated by 2Checkout is stored so the system can charge customers in the future for trial conversions or the automatic renewal of subscriptions.
- Not authorized by the issuing bank (payment gateway informs 2Checkout that validation has failed). An error message will be presented to customers, asking them to try again.
All pre-authorized charges are reversed automatically. The pre-authorization cancelation process takes a maximum of one (1) hour. Depending on the customer's bank, pre-authorization charges may or may not appear on credit / debit card statements or online account activity logs.
What happens when credit cards expire? Will such items still be listed?
Expired credit/debit cards can no longer be used to charge customers. However, expired cards that were associated with a subscription will continue to be displayed.